Tuesday, December 30, 2014

But the real treat was when I upped the ante and baked up some little frico cups to serve my little

Heirloom Tomato Frico Cups and a Giveaway
Simple, summery and a great little appetizer with a salty parmesan bowl of its own, these Heirloom Tomato Frico Cups make singing the swan song to summer a little easier. That and a $50 Whole Foods Market gift card giveaway doesn’t hurt either.
With the long days turning shorter and my summer escapes goodmans dimension 8 coming to a quick end, I ve been weaning my cravings for simple summer recipes and tank top wearing tan lines and replacing goodmans dimension 8 them with thoughts of long oven braises and pulling goodmans dimension 8 an ear hugging beanie over my chilly head as I search through my closet goodmans dimension 8 for those knit gloves I bought last year that have the touchy things on the tips of the fingers so I can still use my iPhone once the weather goodmans dimension 8 turns cold. Those things are genius.
My stringy and nearly leafless heirloom tomato goodmans dimension 8 plants the ones I was so excited to cultivate so I could pluck juicy mater orbs straight from the vine and take a big old bite out of their still warm flesh are as lifeless and lilting as a 6 foot, 95-pound fashion model prepping for her fall debut on the catwalk.
And what s worse is no matter how hard I try, my tomato loving cravings for recipes like Heirloom Tomato BLTs , Pasta with Marinated Tomatoes and my fave weeknight freshie of Avocado, Onion and Tomato goodmans dimension 8 Salad have not ebbed the tide. And last year s post of 55 Fresh and Tasty Tomato Recipes ? This year, it s been a question if I would make it to 56.
The thing I love about heirloom tomatoes is how imperfect they are. Let s just say I can relate. Some are on the pudgy side with a too-tight-in-the-jeans muffin top, some are are cracked and crooked. And for most the color is never quite the same so slicing them to see the rainbow of color inside is always a fun surprise.
The other day Smudge and I were trolling through Whole Foods Market for a quick lunch of sushi and the soup bar. It s one of our favorite go-out-to-eat-spots since we can each get our own portion size and oddball combination plate. Don t gross out, but last week when she ran out of soy sauce she actually put the Kale and White Bean soup broth ON TOP of her California Roll. She gave it a thumbs up. This from my daughter who doesn t like mayonnaise , but will totally play with her food. I don t know where she gets it from.
After finishing our custom created lunches, goodmans dimension 8 we made our way to the veggie department and were quickly ogling the heirloom tomatoes. Big, juicy and ready to slice, a far cry from our bereft leaning-towers-of-never-to-bear-fruit at home. We fondled several of the larger goodmans dimension 8 heirloom varieties, speculating what color spectrum might be hidden inside.
While I love the largess of the standard heirlooms and can nearly taste the bite of fresh mozzarella with basil and olive oil just by looking at them, the little goodmans dimension 8 bitties are the guys that get me every time.
Olive oil and kosher salt and pepper are standard toppers for heirlooms in most everyone’s goodmans dimension 8 book, but this time around I eschewed the balsamic and went with a squeeze of lemon juice, a bit of zest and a simple goodmans dimension 8 handful of flat leaf parsley.
But the real treat was when I upped the ante and baked up some little frico cups to serve my little tomato salad in. I used my biscuit cutter as my guide and let the oven do its magic. Be sure to work quickly when you bake these puppies, they crisp up super quick as soon as they’re pulled out of the oven so a fast slight of hand is definitely a must.
Who needs a bowl, a fork or a spoon when you can use a parmesan vessel with a salty crunch instead? Smudge gave it another thumbs up and totally agrees that this makes it way more fun to play with your food. What a surprise. goodmans dimension 8
So tell me, what’s your favorite way to eat/make/enjoy heirloom tomatoes? Leave a comment on this post telling me how and you’ll be entered to win a $50 gift card to Whole Foods Market . The giveaway ends on Monday, August 19, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. M.S.T. and is available goodmans dimension 8 for U.S. residents only.
2 tablespoons capers
For Heirloom Tomato Salad Toss tomatoes, roasted red bell pepper slices, capers and parsley leaves in a large bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Fill the parmesan frico cups with about 1/4 cup of the tomato mixture and garnish with more salt and pepper if desired and goat cheese crumbles. Serve at room temperature.
For the Frico Cups Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Mix the parmesan cheese and the lemon zest in a small bowl. Place a Silpat mat on a rimmed baking sheet. goodmans dimension 8 Using at 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, drop 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of the cheese mixture on the Silpat, tapping cheese goodmans dimension 8 lightly to form a circle. Place 6 total circles on the baking sheet with 2 inches between each row. Bake the rounds for 8 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Working quickly and while frico is still hot, transfer the rounds with spatula or knife to

No comments:

Post a Comment